If the service member or veteran is severely injured and unable to manage his or her own affairs and property, you may need to be granted guardianship.

There are three categories of guardians:

  • A Guardian of the Person ensures the physical care and rehabilitation of the individual.
  • A Guardian of the Estate (also called a conservator) manages the financial affairs and property of the individual.
  • A Plenary Guardian does both.

Guardianships are covered under state law. To obtain guardianship over the individual with TBI, you will need an attorney to represent you in court.

You will be required to submit periodic reports, and if the guardianship is temporary, a physician will need to periodically re-certify that the guardianship is still needed.